Monday, August 25, 2014

Everyday is an Opportunity

     How's your weekend? Mine is great if you'll ask me. My weekend started Saturday night after work, we had some good times with friends and co-worker. It was just a simple house party with around 15 people, just some eating and drinking. I got there 10pm and left the party at 1am.

     My Sunday was better, I get to hangout with my little girl and with my wife the whole day. We went to CSUN pond in the afternoon feeding some ducks and turtles, after that we went to the mall my wife bought some maternity clothes at Old Navy then dinner at Musashi since my daughter requested that one, she likes to watch the Teppan chefs cooking her food in front of her.


     Now, looking forward... Happy Monday! Just like what the title says: everyday is an opportunity, for what you night ask? Opportunity to make money, to save money, to be fit, to spend time with family. Before living the lifestyle where I am at right now, I used to waste those opportunities playing Modern Warfare on my PS3 on my days off. I don't value time. Im happy as long as I have the controller at my hand playing 10 hours a day until 2 am in the morning. I even told my self I am a gamer and will be a gamer until I'm a grandpa, until I hit 70-80 years old. Thats how much I love gaming. Times change. We have priorities now, we grow, we have different perspectives in life. We value time more than anything else, time with family and with ourselves. Right now I don't have that luxury and I am working extremely hard to reach the point where I don't have to work for money and spend all of my time with loved ones. Thats financial freedom. I am taking it one day at a time. Here are my opportunities for today:

  • We can make money by working, I'm on my lunch break while writing this blog earning my hourly wage.
  • We can save money by not spending it. I bring my food lunch baon like, not spending non sense like fancy latte on Starbucks.
  • I took my bike to work today, I save money for gas and my cardio is good for the day. I consider biking as a double edge sword for this reason,  maybe triple edge. (More on that on later post)
  • I had a nice breakfast at home with the wife before going to work. I could just have a drive thru at McDonald's and order breakfast there but we have to scale what is more important to us. And later on tonight, should I play video games or just hang out with family? The answer is very obvious.
     That is just for today, now do it everyday... Days become weeks... Weeks become months... Months become years... Years become a way of life. I know I won't be working for the rest of my life because I know what is more important to me thats why I am grabbing this opportunity on a daily basis. As a matter of fact I am creating a weekly challenge for myself. This is my second weekly challenge for this year that I am posting. Please feel free to join me challenging ourselves. Here is my challenge:
1. To make money- I am scheduled to work 7 days this week with my two jobs (more on that on a later post)
2. To save money- I won't be buying anything for myself. The fridge is empty of  craft beer, I was going to buy some yesterday but I stopped my urge. I will be bringing my own lunch to work for 7 days as usual. I won't shop or buy unnecessary thing. *Eating out with family is exempted, I view this as essential to balance our lives. To fully maximize our savings we are free to buy a special food at the local grocery store and cook a fancy meal at home to substitute the expensive restaurant.
3. To bike to work at least half the time. It is impossible to do a 100% biking since we We Moved. My first job is 10 miles away (doable) but my second job is 18.5 miles away. Total commute time for me for the week is 206 miles. My goal is to bike at least 103 miles. *I can't bike 18.5 miles, what I do is load my bike in the car, drive for 10-12 miles then bike to work.
4. To spend time with the ones we love. We know what matter the most. Our limited free time must be given to the ones we treasure. Not video games, not our toys or cars.

     Please don't waste our daily opportunity, it is there all the time. All we have to do is grab it and make the most out of it. I will leave you guys with the tale of the meteor professor and his class in case you can't click, I copy and paste it:

A meteorology professor stood before his Meteorology 101 class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty glass mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a jar of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open spaces between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar and of course the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous yes.

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and then proceeded to pour the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the grains of sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things -- your family, your partner, your health, your children, your friends, your favorite passions -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

"The pebbles are the other things that matter, like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. Play another 18.

"There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

No comments:

Post a Comment