Monday, January 5, 2015

My 2014 Goal Result

First of all Happy New Year! 

I haven't written in this blog for a long time and I owe myself to have a look back on my 2014 results, this is my main reason why I started this blog, to have an accountability to myself on achieving the goals I set for myself. These are simple goals nothing fancy. I will be honest with myself here on evaluating myself
  • To start this blog. - COMPLETED  - This is an easy one, my blog went live January last year.
  • Increase my savings rate. To increase my net worth $100k. - COMPLETED   - My portfolio reached more than $100,000 thru frugality and regular investment. 
  • To pay off my student loan balance. - COMPLETED  - I had paid off my student loan and I am debt free! (so far)
  • To use my bike more than half of the time to commute to work -FAILED - I was very motivated for the first 9 months biking more than half of the time. Then the cold weather came in, the Filipino in me coming from a tropical country couldn't do it anymore. I am not making excuse but anybody close to me knows that I hate being cold. I had a some sort of phobia in cold weather when I was in the military more than 10 years ago, we were sleeping in a tent in the East Coast while it was freezing temperature and waking up in a snow.  I was biking in the early months of 2014 on a cold temperature but the last 2-3 months of 2014 I must admit I just got lazy.
  • To invest 3k every month on stocks - COMPLETED  I was in investing more than $3,000 per month  on US stocks and I currently have more than 30 positions in my portfolio. I have Coca-Cola, AT&T, IBM, Exxon, Chevron, Johnson and Johnson, Procter and Gamble, McDonald's, General Electric, Wal-Mart, Wells Fargo Bank, General Mills are just some of the popular names in my portfolio.
  • To regain my 6pk and maintain (lol tough one but ill try) - FAILED  - I knew this is going to be a tough one, I just wanted to challenge myself,  if I can still do it but with the holidays, cold weather, craft beer combined, I just got plain lazy. No excuse here, I still workout but not as much as I would like to. I do some running, am going back to lifting some weights at home, I canceled my gym membership, hopefully 2015 would be better.
  • To spend more time with Paige - COMPLETED - most of my free time is dedicated to family. I guided my daughter to be a better person and to have respect to the elders, to be frugal, to have a good values, to have fear in God. I'm just trying to be a good father to her the best as I can be. 
  • To organize my portfolio - COMPLETED I created a spreadsheet so I can monitor my portfolio on a quick glance. Still I am contemplating if I should share it here. I have created another blog where I document everything financials but without family pictures for safety and privacy issues. 
  • To organize my income/expense ratio - FAILED - this should be an easy one but I am not good on keeping track up to the penny of my expenses. I keep track of the big purchases and the major bills but not the small ones. This category I need to improve.

So there it is, next week I will post my 2015 Goals.
How did you do on 2014? Please let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment